Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What's in Your Family Tree?

Sometimes the most interesting form of history is that of our own family, yet it goes unexplored much of the time.  I am guilty of this.  I've heard stories of past escapades and antics of long ago relatives and even some of a more recent era.  Then there are my own adventures and childhood memories as well.  I never thought of  recording the stories, or researching the characters climbing around in our family tree and hiding behind bushes.

As my children grow, so does my love for recording their funny phrases, accomplishments, and interests.  I record strengths, weaknesses, behavior and health issues.  Not only does this help me work through problems and record memories for when my mind fails me later in life, but it is record keeping for future generations.  It is current events, family history style.

If you decide to travel to bygone eras, bring your children along for the treasure hunt.  Start with keeping a journal to record present day happenings.  When your children, or you, have questions about where someone's blonde hair came from or have a memorable story about an older relative, write them down.  Then start your journey through time with that thought.

We already journal quite a bit, but if you don't and would like to, check out my post Dear Diary.  To do some research, check out your local library's genealogy department.  If you are in my area, here is the info for Shelbyville Genealogy and History House.  After you are done browsing (and "liking")the library's genealogy page, click on over to Mrs. Redd's Classroom and "like" it to get connected to parents, teachers, home educators and education resources.

Happy Homeschooling!
Mrs. Redd



No comments :

Post a Comment

The Ultimate Homeschool Blogroll